Saturday, May 4, 2013

More than just trees.

Today we went to the National Arboretum.
Their azalea collection is gorgeous and in full bloom.
This place had been on my list of things to do and see here for months and I finally got my husband to agree to come with me.
The day was beautiful, though a bit windy for my taste {we've been in this gross holding pattern of mid-sixties and windy weather, truly pleasant to many people but not my cup of tea [too windy, too chilly]} and we brought Guinness along.
There are over 400 acres in this beautiful oasis on the edges of DC and we only romped around a bit.
Though the arboretum is mostly plant life, there is this cool exhibit in the middle of  field.
 
Capitol Columns.
They make the place look like a scene from a science fiction movie; they seem to come up out of nowhere and imply an earlier and forgotten civilization.
But my favorite part was the Bonsai exhibit.
This is an outdoor museum and you wind your way through several "rooms" of these beautiful bonsai trees.
Each tree has a placard that explains what specimen it is {pine, Japanese Maple, etc.} and for how many years it has been "in training".
The oldest tree there has been cultivated since 1625.
I thoroughly enjoyed our little visit and look forward to going back for more of those 400+ acres!
xoxo, natty ♥ 

0 comments:

Post a Comment