Tuesday, October 15, 2013

From last week - Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese.

A quick recipe for my memory's sake; from last week.

I didn't adore how this turned out though it grew on me after a day or too...I also think I may have added in more pasta than called for thus sopping up the good cheese sauce.

The good thing about pumpkin is that it adds fiber and vitamins to your diet so this is the indulgent mixed with some good.

Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese.
2 cups dried pasta {I used and the original recipe recommend elbows though farfalle or those corkscrew types ones would do really nicely}
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of whole milk
4 ounces shredded Fontina cheese {I used a Gruyére and Swiss mix from Trader Joe's and I used a bit way more than 4 ounces...I found the end result not cheesy enough so this is not the time to be judicious with your cheese...also, maybe Fontina would've reacted better than the mix I used [this just hit me]??}
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin {or the equivalent of your own roasted and pureed at home - check out what I did last year HERE}
1 tablespoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage...if you want it
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese {I used finely grated but that or shredded will do nicely}
1/3 cup chopped walnuts {not for me -- I left these out}
1 tablespoon olive oil {I used the equivalent in butter}

1. Cook pasta according to direction. The sauce whips up pretty quickly so you'll want the noodles to be at-the-ready. I always worry about them congealing but a good shake and then being mixed with the cheese sauce takes care of that.

To make the cheese sauce:

2. Create a roux by sauteing the butter over medium/medium-high heat; I used the dutch oven that I was going to put everything in or you can use a separate pot if you'd like. When the butter starts to turn a wee bit frothy, add in the flour and whisk until you have a slightly golden paste.

3. Immediately add in the milk and cream, along with salt and pepper {I add in a sprinkle of cayenne pepper here}.

4. When the milk has thickened a bit and becomes goopy {in a good way} {usually a few minutes}, add in the cheese and pumpkin {& sage if you want it} and stir until the cheese has melted and you have a nice thick sauce.

5. Add in the pasta...if you made the sauce in its own pot/saucepan then transfer everything to the dish you'll be baking it in

6. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the breadcrumbs and Parmesan; mix to create a little bread crumb-Parmesan concoction that you'll sprinkle over the cheesy pasta. At this point I usually sprinkle some more cheese on top for extra good measure.

7. Bake with no lid on for about half an hour.

8. Add a green veggie on the side and enjoy!!!

Original inspiration HERE.
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment