Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hot pumpkins.

Today we ushered in Fall with hot and humid weather and a trip to pick apples and pumpkins.
And I loved it!
There were a lot folks out there {it's about 25 miles out of DC but it feels like 250...very country} but there were still plenty of apples to be picked and pumpkins to be had.
The apple orchards are labeled and you can use a wheelbarrow type cart or a hand-held bucket to hold your stash. I recommend the bucket route because if you're pushing a cart it's hard to have a sense of how many apples you're truly picking {versus how many you might actually need/want}. #theresonlysomuchonecandowithtonsofapples
We got a few of each: suncrisp, fuji, and braeburn...and something else I can't remember the name of.

The act of actually picking the fruits is a ton of fun but one only needs so many and by holding the bucket you're able to gauge nicely since you don't want to be schlepping around something that heavy.
And then we hiked over to their pumpkin patch and picked out a good'un.
We visited their animals afterwards but I had already stashed my camera phone in the car so no little piggies for you! But here are some more gourds.
It was a fun way to get out of this shut-down city and enjoy being outside even if it was stifling. 

I also made the Smitten Kitchen's Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats to take along {my tally as of 8 PM tonight is five} - they are SO good.

I hope that you've had chance to do something autumnal, besides drinking pumpkin spice anything .
xoxo, natty ♥

2 comments:

Laurenita said...

I made my first complete apple pie this weekend (crusts too!). Such a yummy fall treat!

Nathalia said...

I think I might go for a gallette aka lazy pie.

Post a Comment