Saturday, July 10, 2010

Photographic Friday

Some images to end the work-week (though I'm not technically working...shhh...) and a Natty-style book review at the end:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
The sadness at Trace, the burnt-down school. 

Today when I was running by they were bull-dozing the remains and in the past few days these signs have come up. They're pretty poignant to me. I kind of think that many children would, despite maybe liking school, choose a fun day with friends/at home/doing whatever instead of school, but the childrens' messages on these signs showing their sadness at the blow their school has taken was truly touching. I love seeing the support and love that the children/parents/teachers/random people have put up for all to see. There was also a nice "thank you" poster to the SJ Fire Department (individuals who always deserve great thanks). I have a fear of fire (Thanksgiving 2008, for those of you in the know) and really admire those who fight it...thanks all! As a teacher (or just a person), it is very sad to see destroyed what I know was so much love and work, not to mention the actual supplies and effort put into making classrooms classrooms with personality and emotion rather than just rooms. Once again, it is such a good thing that no one was injured and that the children will be able to return to the same location when the school year begins, though the landscape will be a bit different...

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
400000000000000051141_s4.jpg

Last night I stayed up late to finish "Body Surfing" by Anita Shreve. I'm quietly hung up on Shreve's books. They mostly take place on the East Coast and revolve around the life style of WASPy folks from that area, so, in other words, they have nothing in common with my life, but I'm hooked. My favorite of hers is actually "Fortunes Rocks", though I'll save that for a later post ("Books I MUST read at least once annually", no joke). This one was a fairly quick read and once I was within an hour of finishing, it just had to be done (please tell me that other people have those sorts of nights- when you don't plan on staying up too late when you get into bed to read but end up getting too involved!?) It revolves around a house on the coast in New Hampshire that is actually in several of Shreve's other novels and is somewhat about a love triangle and the sticky mess that families can make. The book was actually pretty disturbing to me, but knowing me, I'll probably revisit it in a year or so.

I did a bad thing and accidentally read a real author's review of this novel and can't seem to shake what this writer says, namely that Shreve does a fantastic job of description and reader entrapment, but that her story lines are always a bit ideal...however, it is fiction and we (I) read fiction for a reason. Anyway, my next read is probably "Fortunes Rocks" (once again, I = compulsive re-reader...are there any more of you out there???!!! BTW, K.L., my dear friend, I have yet to read "Dead Before Dark", and I REALLY REALLY plan on it this summer!) for my yearly/6 monthly/whatever fix, hopefully followed by Alice Hoffman's (my one true literary love, no shame about it!) "Practical Magic" (also a favorite movie) which I oddly don't own but just keep checking out from the library.

Tomorrow's our sale, wish us luck =) Here are some pics of our preparations as well as some of tonight's activities...

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Cookies to sell tomorrow...Funfetti cookies, can you imagine?!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Gouge-your-eyes-out-colored signs to lure in customers...

Photobucket
The tools of the trade...

Photobucket
What's on TV tonight...Miss Marple = my girl!

Photobucket
What some one's reading tonight...

Photobucket
What I'm reading tonight...for now tonight...

Photobucket
What some one's gnawing on tonight...

0 comments:

Post a Comment