Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Exactly what I was hoping would happen.

Our neighborhood is full of beautiful Victorian-era row houses. I really enjoy this architecture and am tickled pink that we actually live here {we also have victorian brick sidewalks on some blocks; so cool but easy to trip on...}.

There is one row house that's literally on the circle that we live near {DC has many large traffic circles [also known as roundabouts in some places] but not many are residential like ours is..we live a block off of the circle} that has three picture windows that face the traffic. 

When we arrived here in late July there was one item in each window; each pane had, from the inside of the residence, a fabric ice cream cone. Each was the same as the next and they were each about the size of a basketball. Think about those 1980s children's room-wall decorations, that's what these puffy fabric wall decorations look like. 

And I love it. I love it. This is kind of a painfully trendy and hip neighborhood {except for our building, or at least unit #202} and it makes me SO happy each time I walk past these window decorations because they are so earnest and they do not fit in with the yuppies every where around them.

Then August came and I'm pretty sure those ice cream cones turned into suns.

Then September began and the suns were replaced with...

Can you guess?

Apples, of course! Because it's Back-to-School-Time!

I realized that I should be chronicling these changes some time after the start of September but I felt to shy to whip out my phone and take a picture.

October brought about Jack-O-Lanterns, not to my surprise, but I still couldn't muster up the gumption to snap a shot.

Finally, I got my act together in November.
The Jack-O-Lanterns had turned back into pumpkins for Harvest Season!

I was worried that my neighbor would fall for the whole Black Friday = Christmas but she {I'm convinced it's a she} dutifully waited until December 1st to break out the holiday decor.
Not the best picture; they're wreathes with red bows.
Oh how I wish to one day meet this individual or at least see her {or him} leave the building so that I can have a face to match-up with what I'm imagining because I'm enamored of the idea of an older DC woman who maybe used to be a teacher and enjoys decorating for each season and gets dressed up each time she goes out.

I'm also really looking forward to six more months of varying window themes. I'll be sure to continue with my courage and take pictures each time.

Are there any interesting or quaint members of your local community? Is it appropriate to leave a plate of holiday cookies and a note of admiration on their porch this Christmas?
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment