Thursday, November 29, 2012

Words.

I have many vices, fairly innocuous ones {I must have a mid-morning snack and something warm to eat for dinner} but vices nonetheless.
Something I truly enjoy is an easy but engaging crossword puzzle. Something that is not quite back of People Magazine level but still challenges me- the solution? New York Times, edited by Will Shortz, Monday crossword puzzles! Entire books of them, actually. The puzzles increase in difficulty throughout the week starting with Monday and culminating with Sunday's behemoth and I can handily speed through a Monday or Tuesday but beyond there I can't move so quickly.
I got this anthology in April I believe and I'm still not quite half-way through it. Part of what makes my habit so indulgent is that since there are so many puzzles in any given book, I can skip ones I don't like! It's such a cheat but I love it because even though Mr. Shortz edits the puzzles, they're all by different people and some folks think way weird compared to me. It is kind of neat in a geeked-out sorta way to begin to notice different but subtle motifs between puzzles; some authors use really round-about {and annoying!} clues and others seem to be right on cue with how I think about things.
Do you have anything weird you kind of secretly enjoy to do??
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment