Friday, June 14, 2013

Packaging.

Just a bit more vegetable related things so that I can remember for now and then I'll back off.

When I unloaded the stuff Tuesday night, there were a couple of things I had to do.
Since these guys come directly from a farm and it's a farm that doesn't use pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers {they're pretty crunchy over there!}, there's dirt and there are hanger-ons {see Wednesday's photo}. I'm OK with all of this and kind of like it : I've been to the farm and seen where the stuff comes from and the messiness is pretty indicative of how produce is grown - in dirt and bugs. I still buy bags of pre-washed lettuce from the grocery store, don't get me wrong, but I'm appreciating this reminder.

So, everything got a good washing and drying {the eggs too, they still had some "farm" on them} and then I packaged it all. Because of the waste I feel kind of "meh" about using plastic baggies for the stuff but for now they work best for me and we use our Pyrex containers pretty regularly for prepared food and don't have enough to dedicate just to this. I add in a paper towel to the bags of greens so that it can absorb excess moisture and prevent the leaves from getting soggy/gross. I put my mint in a cup of water {on the counter} to inject some life back into it.

That's it! Have a lovely Friday and weekend!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment