Thursday, July 11, 2013

Musings on DC.

It's been almost a year since we arrived in DC and I'm still mulling it over and learning the ins and outs of this place. One thing's for sure, to me at least, though, and that's that DC is a weird place. I should specify that it's the little area where we live that's odd. We live in the downtowny/business/financial/government-office/near-to-the-monuments area.

I hadn't really been able to put my finger on it but I think I have it; there are no families here. Sure, there are young families but I'm talking about several generations. So, maybe, in other words, there aren't very many people belonging to an older generation. There are certainly workers who are older and perhaps have children in college but when out and about here, the 20 to late thirties crowd seems to rule the district. It almost creates a sort of overgrown college feel. No one in this crowd has actual roots here. Maybe in the bordering states but definitely not here. And I think it creates a subtle...something.

There is another part to DC, the DC that has residents who are 2nd, 2rd, 4th, etc., generation, but that part of the district is so overshadowed by the flashiness of a government job {& the like} and the fast-paced "stop-over" lifestyle that is in the quadrant where we live...many people use DC as a stepping stone {graduate school, a government internship, campaign work} before moving on to a more permanent existence.

I've been thinking about this recently because it's high tourist season and I've heard some people complain about the visitors in that they take up the whole side walk when walking, the mall and museums are overcrowded, as are the various monuments, etc.. 

But I kind of love them. 

I think it's that each little tourist group I see, apart from the large tour groups, represents a family {not necessarily nuclear} { I ADORE seeing families with teenagers...someone usually has a look on his or her face in these groups and I well remember those days} as well as a "normal" life back home. I know it's not always the case and that I don't know what anyone's except my own life is like but I find some please in seeing these little groups of "home". I also really enjoy seeing people excited and happy about something; they have chosen to come here and enjoy the beauty and majesty of the nation's capital. 

DC residents seem to buzz quickly from place to place, as do all residents in their home place {myself included} and I love seeing their energy.

This is a totally random post but just a little something that's been on my mind.

Happy Thursday to you all!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment