Thursday, July 18, 2013

So tasty; Eggplant Parmigiana.

In an effort to remember things I've cooked {bonus, the eggplants were from the CSA which is actually why we planned to make this dish} I'm recording Tuesday night's recipe.

I had never done eggplant parmigiana before and it was super easy as long as one is comfortable with frying. If not, the eggplant can be baked at 375 for 25 minutes on each side after being breaded.

Eggplant Parmigiana...this was enough for us both to have two hearty helpings at dinner {we have healthy appetites} and for us each to have a solid lunch the next day {when it tastes even better}. This is adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe.

Ingredients
2 medium eggplants

1 to 2 jars {36 to 50 ounces total, depending on if you like it "wetter"} of marinara/chunky tomato sauce {or make your own!}

2 eggs with 2 tbsp of water, whisked to blend

3/4 of a cup of finely grated Parmesan mixed with 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, 1 tsp of dried oregano, and 1/2 tsp dried basil

olive oil as needed for frying the eggplant

1 and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, though I always throw in a bit more

2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan to sprinkle on top

Salt and pepper as needed

Directions 
1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds or slices or whatever you like. My two eggplants were awkwardly shaped so I had some silver dollar style rounds and some more traditional long strips. And my slices were thinner because that's how I like it.

3. Pour enough olive oil to coat bottom of a large pan and then a bit more and heat to medium-high.

4. While olive oil is heating prepare the "breading station"; in one large bowl put the egg and water mixture. In another, place the Parmesan mixture. Dip the eggplant in the egg, shake off any excess, dip it in the Parmesan mixture, and then fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.

Keep an eye on these guys because my oil always seems to get much hotter as I continue to cook so the cooking time may decrease.

I also fry these guys in batches so that they're not over-crowding each other in the fry pan...I usually have enough to cover the bottom in one layer. I drain each batch on a plate with some paper towels.

5. When the eggplant is all fried up you can begin to assemble to actual dish. I layered eggplant, 1 to 2 cups of sauce {depending on how much sauce you want}, and half the mozzarella, then repeat. I add a bit of extra mozzarella on the top, sprinkle with some Parmesan, and then bake for 20 minutes.

6. Let the dish sit for at least 5 minutes before you dig in.


It was SO GOOD for lunch the next day too.
 
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment