Saturday, December 31, 2011

On the Seventh Day of Christmas...101 in 1,001.


My Oh My. When the New Year rolls around every December-January, as it tends to do, I celebrate and let it pass by and then feel a nostalgic twinge; “I could have been more contemplative of the year that just ended”…”I could have come up with mindful goals for the commencing year”…things like that.

Now it’s December 31st and I haven’t done much concentrated thinking but something has been lurking in the back of my mind. My friend Rebecca has been planning to do a “101 in 1,001”. She got this idea from a friend of hers and I’m sure that gal got the idea from a friend as well. There’s a website, HERE, that explains the whole thing so someone actually “invented” this goal making/setting scheme.

I’m usually wary of resolutions because I’m the type of person who likes to make general goals {“be nicer”} instead of actual measurable ones {“pay for the person behind me in line at Starbucks”} and that makes it easy to not follow through so this year I’d like to be more mindful. I’d like to follow through more. I’d like to be a better person. Haha, get it? Anyway, to help me in this endeavor I’m going to do my own “101 in 1,001”. 

I’m actually making my list today but I’ve been tossing around ideas in my head the past few weeks. I’ll begin with parameters taken from the website mentioned above as well as my own rules then launch into my 101.

1} 101 in 1,001 is the chosen number because 1,001 days equals a bit under three years {2.75 to be exact} which allows for several weather seasons in which to accomplish the various tasks. and accommodates for weather changes and money saving and things like that. Aaaaaand101 just looks good next to/out of 1,001.

2} These must be measurable and quantifiable goals. See above: “be nicer” vs “pay for the person behind me in line at Starbucks once a year”.

3} My goals must require a bit of effort and cannot just be things that I do every year anyway {no “be a teacher” or “have a dog”}.

4} I’ll maintain a Google document for my own personal accountability and for y'all to be able to look at the whole dig-dang-thing.

5} The list will be divided into categories so as to break things up a bit…”Healthy”, “Literate”, “Family”, “Love”, “Homey”, “Thoughtful”, “Adventurous”, “Kind”, “Happy”…etc.

6} At the start of every month I’ll do a summary. What I accomplished the past month, What I’ve begun, What I have in progress, What I’d like to begin and/or accomplish in the next month.

7} I’ll post all 101 in this initial post but only the aforementioned categories {#6} in subsequent monthly updates.

8} Start Date: January 1, 2012 
    End Date: September 28, 2014 {2012 is a leap year so there’s an extra day} 
    Goals Completed: 0/101 
    Goals in Progress: 0/101 
    Last Updated: December 31, 2011

    Crossed out marks a completed item.
    Italics marks a partially completed or in-progress item.

Ready, Set, Here We Go!!!!

Adventurous
1.    Enjoy local nature {hiking, biking, etc.} {local = within a two hour car ride} once a month; 0/33
2.    Go backpacking.
3.    Climb a mountain.
4.    Visit six states I’ve never been to {an airport layover doesn’t count}; 0/6.
5.    Buy a lottery ticket.
6.    Travel somewhere by train.
7.    Go fishing.
8.    Go on a road trip
9.    Bowl over 50.
10. Go to an Olympic event.
11. Travel to Europe or South America.
12. Ski at least twice every winter/spring season; 0/6.
13. Go camping at least twice each summer season; 0/6.
Family
14. Go on a vacation with each extended family; 0/2.
15. Take my mom and dad out on a date, separately; 0/2.
16. Talk to my parents once a week; 0/132.
Happy
17. Visit Death Valley.
18. Identify 132 things that make me happy {one a week}; 0/132.
19. Throw someone a surprise party!
20. Purchase a classic children’s Holiday book each Christmas; 0/2.
21. Purchase five of my favorite books from growing up; 0/5.
22. Go to Hawaii.
23. Wear a dress every day for a month.
24. Attend The Nutcracker each Christmas season; 0/2.
Smart
25. Get all of my documents and accounts switched over to my new name.
26. Apply to a graduate program.
27. Go one month without buying anything for myself that isn’t food related.
28. Donate to my Alma Maters once a year; 0/3 & 0/3.
29. Complete our taxes before March 1st; 0/3.
30. Back up our computers.
31. Begin saving towards a home.
Healthy {Mental and Physical Health}
32. Come up with a new way to be green every month; 0/33.
33. Be active 6 days a week for a month.
34. Take my vitamins everyday for a month.
35. Sign up for a produce delivery service.
36. Get a massage.
37. Make our own dinner every night for a month.
38. Qualify for the Boston Marathon.
39. Walk Guinness in the evenings at least once a week; 0/132.
40. Begin going to yoga and do so at least once a month for six months.
41. Take an exercise class or play a sport at least once a week for a month, one that isn’t running related.
42. Eat out no more than once a month for six months; 0/6.
Hungry
43. Host a dinner party.
44. Celebrate Oktoberfest.
45. Cook risotto.
46. Make crème Brule.
47. Cook a turkey, on Thanksgiving or not, preferably fried.
48. Make something from something I’ve grown.
49. Bake cookies or breads once a month; 0/33.
50. Cook something new every month; 0/33.
Homey
51. Begin collecting a Willow Tree Nativity scene…initial purchase can be the main three but collect a new piece each year.
52. Frame and put up our college diplomas; 0/2.
Crafty
53. Finish my long-ago-began t-shirt quilt.
54. Organize my race #s like Rebecca did.
55. Make a wreath.
56. Plant bulbs.
57. Begin to sew and create something that I can wear, something I can use around the house and something that I can give to someone else; 0/3.
58. Can/Jar my salsa.
59. Plant and nurture a garden, even if it’s a balcony one.
60. Make our own Advent Calendar that can be used from year to year.
61. Acquire a “big-girl” camera and use it instead of my phone at family/friend events.
Kind
62. Compliment someone once a day for a month.
63. Leave a nice and anonymous note for someone once a season; 0/11.
64. Pay the bill for someone behind me in the drive-through line.
65. Visit with an older/home-bound/sick person once every six months; 0/6.
Social
66. Participate in a cookie exchange.
67. Learn how to play Bunco and have a Bunco night at our place.
68. Have an Academy Awards party.
69. Have an obscure holiday party {Bastille Day, etc.}.
70. Join a book club.
71. See my friends who live in other states once a year; 0/3.
Out & About
72. Go to the movies once a month; 0/33.
73. Visit the San Diego Zoo.
74. Visit a historical site.
75. Attend a professional sporting event.
76. Attend a concert.
77. Go out dancing.
78. Visit a museum once a season; 0/11.
79. Visit a national park every year; 0/3.
80. Take pictures in a photo booth.
81. Go apple picking in the fall.
Literate
82. Watch a movie series.
83. Watch a movie after reading the book it goes along with.
84. Watch “Gone With the Wind”.
85. Read twelve Classics; 0/12.
Love
86. Celebrate our 1st, 2nd and 3rd anniversaries.
87. Exchange the traditional anniversary gifts on our anniversaries.
88. Make our Wedding Album {with or without outside assistance}.
89. Continue to uphold and develop our own traditions {birthdays, New Year, Thanksgiving, Halloween, anniversary, etc.}.
Thoughtful
90. Blog once a day until June 2012.
91. Order race pictures of Mike & me.
92. Finish writing thank you notes.
93. Get our wedding quilt sent in and made.
94. Make an actual photo album for each year…print out the photos and put them into an album; 0/3.
95. Volunteer at an animal shelter/pound/Humane Society at least once.
96. Send a care package to a family member or friend who lives in another state.
97. Send out birthday cards to my friends/family before the actual birthday.
98. Send out all Christmas cards before December 20th 2012 & December 20 2013; 0/2.
99. Read through the “50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind” once a month; 0/33.
100. Begin a new 101 in 1,001 for 2015!
101. Donate $1 for every task not completed by September 28th 2014; recipient to be determined.

Tomorrow I'll begin with my first monthly update.

I didn't think I'd feel this way but after having read through my list I am just SO excited about this! I'm enlisting the help of friends and family to keep me accountable. Are you a resolution maker? Have you ever done a "101 in 1,001"? Again, I'm really looking forward to this and thank you in advance for reading through my journey!

xoxo, natty ♥

3 comments:

Laurenita said...

Very cool! I thought coming up with 101 "to-do's" would be daunting but yours sound fun! Plus like you said, you have multiple seasons to complete them in. I can help with #44 when you're ready :)

Rebecca said...

Ah, I LOVE your list! yours are awesome. Mine are scribbled scritch-scratch on a piece of paper and will be online very soon!

Nathalia said...

Aw thanks girls! Lauren; I totally had you in mind with the risotto! Making the list was so much easier and fun than I thought it would be. Becs: I can't wait to read yours!!!

Post a Comment