Friday, June 22, 2012

Cleaning out our fridge, one loaf of banana bread at at time.

The end of our time in this apartment is rapidly approaching {wahhhhhh} and I'm scrambling to use up as much food as possible. I'm tackling three distinct areas 1} the cupboard/pantry {this is about a 3 on the 1 to "oh s%#*" freaking out scale since we can schlep most of this} 2} the refrigerator {about a 7 since I am not so cheap as to haul around a little cooler full of ketchup across the country} and 3} the freezer {oh.s@*&.}.
I'll probably just end up buying new condiments when we get to DC but I certainly am cheap enough to not throw out brown bananas; what DO I do with them? I freeze them.
Frozen Brown Bananas.
Then I can make banana bread.
Plus flour. Does it always charm you too how Trader Joe's name reconfigures itself when he's giving you different things? Trader Giuseppe for pasta!
They are a bit slimy when thawing but I can get over that.
Plus buttermilk {you can substitute with a ratio of one cup regular milk to one teaspoon white [NO OTHER VARIETY] vinegar}.
The recipe {the link is above} is quick and easy though the bake time is about an hour.
Plus chocolate chips.
I always add chocolate chips.
Plus sugar, butter, eggs, baking soda and a bit of vanilla. And love.
And I never add in nuts.
This week I only eked out one batch of two loaves but I am expecting three plus another cobbler before the next seven days are over.
Ta-yum!
Today I'm spending the afternoon in San Francisco; happy weekend to you!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment