Monday, July 23, 2012

Back to where it all started.

Late yesterday evening Mr. Mike and I rolled into Minnesota {after trudging through North Dakota}, the state where we met. It's also the state where Rebecca and I met and Ellie and I met and Emily and I met and a herd of other people came into my life. I was back once between now and when we graduated college six years ago but that was a quick weekend and in downtown Minneapolis, not in this neighborhood that I lived in. It's kind of weird but wonderful to be back. It's familiar and somewhat the same just like I'm still me but most certainly changed after six years. It's hot and humid, something I love but will have to get used to considering our new home. It smells like the Midwest, to me at least. The houses look like Minnesota, to me at least. And, most importantly, my friends are here to welcome us.
Becs and I spent the day lolling around with our dogs {fast friends!} and doing things that I would have a hard time selling to the mister. He would have no interest in the following : 1} a community street fair that included a petting zoo and bouncy playground and 2} a neighborhood walking architectural tour. 
I resisted scaring these guys to watch them faint. But I almost did.

It was glorious to indulge these interests with someone who shares them! My hubby would make a day of it with me, I am sure, but I think he was much happier playing soccer with some old friends. I'll put up the house pictures in another post {scintillating to all} because it's late and I'm tired. I did learn two new words : "quoin: these brick or stone embellishments on the edges of homes" and "cupola: a windowed little room atop a home from which one may see in all directions". But, anyway, imagine a lot of this.
I also checked off several items from my summer travel scavenger hunt. I'm loving this list SO much and only wish I had remembered before yesterday; there was so much that I could've used driving through Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Oh well.
After several walks and a delicious pizza dinner I am ready for bed and ready to gear up for tomorrow's journey; up next, Chicago. The ride will hopefully be less painful shorter than that through North Dakota. And, it must be said, many MANY thanks not just to our pals and family hosting us {THANK YOU!!!!} but also, thank you, very many thanks, to my dear sweetie who is taking us swiftly and safely across the country.
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment