Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tea and Mass.

On our first weekend in DC we had house guests, friends from Mike's Peace Corps days, and we were so happy to have them here; having people staying with us made everything feel a bit more normal than it is when one moves across the country.
Guinness LOVED the extra attention.
I headed out with these pals to the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle to catch a Spanish mass. It is a beautiful cathedral and I kept myself from snapping shots inside, though I think I'll go back one day to do so.
JFK's state funeral was held here, which is an interesting nugget of information gained from today's excursion. I feel as though I'm learning new things every day. 
I'm fluent in Spanish but a Catholic mass is a different story with many phrases and much wording that is not what's used in every day conersación and reading along in the Daily Missal helped quite a bit. I actually only had trouble with the homily and even then it was mostly the echo of the microphone that prevented me from really getting involved.
After mass I bid farewell to my pals and joined a former student for afternoon tea at the Mayflower Hotel; I love having tea!
I enjoyed my Earl Grey and loved the the many little sandwiches.
It was great to catch up with my student and see a bit of this historic hotel and it was really kind of her to introduce me to this part of DC; ¡muchas gracias!
I walked home afterwards and was able to check out a bit more of our new neighborhood. There are many neat details in all of the old buildings and I can't wait to become familiar with them {& take lost of covert pictures!}.
We also took Guinness for his second visit to our neighborhood dog park. He mostly sits near us and watches what the other dogs do. Tonight was no exception but I like to think that he does enjoy going and at least sniffing about and observing.
All in all we had a lovely little weekend in our new home. Wish us luck in the next few weeks and for Mikey especially as he begins class tomorrow!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment