Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Dear Abby has to say and some resolutions-lite.

Happy 2013 to you!
I've done quite a bit of resting and ruminating today {still getting over that cough...} and I have my "101 in 1,001" post all ready for you but thought I'd copy Dear Abby's New Year's Resolutions because I read them in the paper this morning and I liked them {yes, I happily read Dear Abby, Miss Manners, Heloise, I enjoy the Jumble, and I'm looking forward to our retirement condo in Palm Beach}.

And even though I have this monster list of concrete-I'll-do-betters lurking around the corner I still have some other not-so-measurable urges swirling around in my mind so I'll get those guys written down here for posterity's sake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Abby's New Year Resolution; adapted by Pauline Phillips from the original credo of Alcoholics-Anonymous.

Just for today, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once.

I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it in with sunshine.

Just for today, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

Just for today, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, though and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

Just for today, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natty's thoughts for 2013; these are mostly goals that I'd like to hit for the month of January with the idea that with four weeks under my belt, some of these will have turned into a habit that continues...forever! into the following weeks {a month is a lot easier to tackle than the rest-of-time}.

1. Cut down on internet time. Allow an hour a day. If it's work-search related, then it's unlimited time, but aimless internet trolling is going to be down to an hour. I did this for Lent last year {I think I did!} and I would actually time myself with my phone timer so I'll be doing that again. I can easily spend many minutes online looking at blogs and recipes and "news" and I think that I can spend my time better than this. I also think that staring at an electronics' screen isn't good for my eyes or my serotonin {or something -tonin} levels.

2. Be in bed by 9:45 PM and up and dressed before 8 AM. I can read once I'm in bed, but I need to be in PJs and under covers before 9:45 PM. I can also be lounging and drinking coffee all morning {if I choose!} but teeth must be brushed, contacts put in, and clean clothing {that is not sleep/lounge-wear} must be worn after 8 AM.

3. Make five to ten minutes of quiet time for myself each day. No phone checking, no computer, no TV, no reading - just thinking. A timer will be involved as well.

4. Eat a vegetable with dinner each night.

5. Make our bed each morning. This does not require new or clean sheets {talk about a waste of water that would be!} but that the covers are pulled up and smoothed and that the pillows are fluffed.

6. Be a better listener. I can't begin to quantify how I can measure this but it is something that weighs on me each time I have a conversation with a friend or loved one. I'd like to come up with a reminder for each time I find myself listening to someone...what could I do?

7. Put reminders into my calendar so that they pop up on my phone. These would be reminders for calling people, dog walking, planning dinner, etc.. I also would like to clean up my calendars because I have a lot of random things programmed into my phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you made any resolutions this year Reader? Are you refraining from making goals? Did you have a joyous celebration last night? Do you have any New Year's traditions?
 
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment