Thursday, January 17, 2013

Salsa.

I'm not sure if I've ever posted this recipe in its entirety but considering yesterday's post, I figured I'd like to get it written out here for perpetuity's sake.

I've been making this salsa for a few years. Mike loves salsa {he's from the Southwest} and I made it once for tacos or fajitas or something Tex-mex we were making and then I just never stopped. 

It is the Pioneer Woman's recipe, though I've seen it in other places.
Check out her recipe HERE.
Mine is a bit adapted from hers.


Salsa!  
This makes enough for a moderately sized party and allows for left-overs. In other words, about six cups.

Ingredients

- 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 28 ounces...or whatever you might have laying around {a can of whole tomatoes...DO NOT use crushed because you'll probably end up with a Lati-spiced pizza sauce}.

- 2 cans of Rotel, 10 ounces...I use their regular but it also comes in mild or hot {find out about Rotel HERE}...I also will use the generic store brand because it's sometimes on sale for $1/can and I love a deal.

- 1/4 cup chopped onion...I use yellow because I always have that around but red probably wouldn't be a good choice.

- 1 clove minced garlic...jarred or fresh, it matters not.

- 1 whole jalapeño quartered and sliced...I leave in the seeds but if you're not into heat then take them out. And be very very careful not to rub your eyes after this part! For at least a day! If you're a contact lens wearer, remove them BEFORE this {because that's something a husband won't do}.

- 1/2 cup cilantro...I usually chop up half a bunch and throwing in the stems makes no difference because you're going to food process the heck out of the stuff. But, don't skimp here because I think this is where the good flavor comes from. If you don't like cilantro {some folks think it tastes like soap?}, then do what you will.

- juice of half a lime...or a whole if you feel like it.

Spices...I am lazy so sometimes I don't measure I just eye it, and the ones listed with an asterisk are my own personal additions, leave them out if you desire.

- 1/4 teaspoon sugar...to cut the acidity of the tomatoes and lime so please don't freak out about "too much sugar in life" because a little goes a long way here...many tomato-based sauces have a pinch of sugar as well so it's OK.

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

- 1/4 teaspoon cumin

- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder *

- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder *

- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder *

-  scant 1/4 teaspoon cayenne {go easy on this one} *

Ingredients without commentary

- 1 can of diced tomatoes, 28 ounces 
- 2 cans of Rotel, 10 ounces
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 whole jalapeño quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder *
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder *
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder *
- scant 1/4 teaspoon cayenne {go easy on this one} *

Steps 

- Food process or blend it all until it's the way you like it; in this house that means smooth with no visible bits of onion. I usually layer the cilantro first and then pour in everything else.

- Recycle your cans!

- Chill the stuff because it's no good at room-temperature.

Tidbits

- I've started to make several batches at once and just freeze each one in a big ziplock style freezer bag. They take about an overnight to thaw. This past time I skimped on the cilantro and it's blandsville so heed my advice, unless you think cilantro tastes like soap {?}.

- This goes quite nicely with tortilla chips {obviously}, into soups {black bean especially, though tortilla soup is divine as well}, and on top of cheese crisps. And nachos. And eggs. And anything. 

¡Buen provecho!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment