Saturday, February 11, 2012

Estate.

This morning my mom and I went to an estate sale. I've talked about this before so I'll not be too verbose. An estate sale is similar to a garage sale in that it's held in the home from which all items for sale originated but it's different in that usually everything is for sale because the owner{s} passed away or are majorly downsizing. 
This can be quite a huge undertaking for normal folks so many families hire a company to come in and carefully sort and price everything. These small companies will also facilitate the sale as well as the clean-up afterwards. I've always found sadness in these sales. I can be kind of emotional or maybe sentimental at times and it seems scary to have a life's possessions laid out for customers but what i try to keep in mind is that if there was anything truly of personal value to the owners and family, they probably took it with them. And that they most likely want these things to be taken care of. They are, after all, paying someone to take care of the whole situation.
So I kind of love estate sales. Once I get past my own weirdness there's much to be had. Unlike a garage sale these events often have some amazing vintage items. I have a penchant for old pyrex/pyrex-type kitchen and dish wares. I also enjoy some good pottery {platters and big bowls are my thing} as well as pretty linens. I've found great stationary items from the 50s and 60s and, oddly enough, there is ALWAYS a supply of holiday wrapping paper at these things. 
Garage sales are great too and their season {a.k.a. warmer weather} is rapidly approaching but estate sales offer slightly less "junk" than their counterparts.
This morning for $8.50 I walked away with a few magazines {kind of weird, I know, but for a quarter each, why not?}
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
, some interesting books {that little "Pleasant Sunday Afternoons" tome comes from 1907!}
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
, wrapping paper {ha!} and a couple of old beach towels.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Do you make the rounds Saturday mornings? Or are you the type that can't fathom the thought of even touching used things? I can totally relate to both; I do a major disinfecting before anything gets used.
Also on the agenda today: resting my knee {it's not good, more on that later this next week}, finishing taxes {that would be my husband, actually...thank you SOSOSO much Mike}, seeing a movie tonight {woot!} and maybe some dinner making.
Happy Saturday to you!!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment