Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lemony Lovliness.

This week I ventured into New Baking Territory and created my very own loaf of lemon bread; yum!
As I mentioned a few weeks ago one of my pals gifted me with a bagful of Meyer lemons and I decided to do something with them for my monthly baked good goal.
After a bit of searching I decided on a bread/pound cake thing with a glaze. It was pretty easy to whip up.
That red juice squeezer/bar contraption made things go quickly for me!
I might have baked it a bit too long because it seemed a bit dry but it might also be that I let it sit out for many hours "cooling".
No matter what, though, it was delicious and made good use of at least half of those lemons. The other five or so have gone into various dinners; thanks Lauren!
Yum! Yesterday's picture.
Have you baked anything new recently? Do you have a fall-back baked good? Mine is usually chocolate chip cookies {a little too often maybe} so I was glad to try something new. Happy almost Friday to you!


PS
Here's an approximation of what I did. 

Cake ingredients:
1.5 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
about half of 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
A little over 1 cup of sugar
4 eggs at room temperature
Grated lemon zest from 1 to 2 lemons
A scant 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice {put some more aside for the syrup and glaze}
2 sticks of melted and cooled butter {salted or unsalted is up to you}
1/4 cup of sour cream at room temperature {I used plain Greek yogurt}
1 tsp of vanilla extract


Syrup ingredients: 
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar

Glaze ingredients:
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 


Make the loaf!
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  • In your mixer {or using a hand-held jobaroo} mix together the sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice.
  • Slowly add in the melted butter {I used a tablespoon to do the trick}.
  • Slowly add in the sour cream and vanilla.
  • Quickly fold in the flour mixture taking care not to over mix.
  • Bake this dude up in a 9x5 {approximately} baking pan. I greased the heck out of mine AND lined it with foil. Do what you will to ensure that your finished product pops out nicely and doesn't break apart in a sad and crumbly manner.
  • Cook for 20 minutes at 350 then another 30 to 35 at 325 {though I'm not sure how effective it is to lower an oven temperature in the middle of a job but that's what I did...}. Or at least until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
  • Let the loaf cool. I usually put the pan with the loaf still in it onto a cooling rack or if you're brave and it's dropped in temperature a bit, put the loaf itself onto a rack.
Now make the syrup!
  • Stir together about 1/3 of a cup of lemon juice and the same amount of sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until it dissolves. 
  • When the loaf has cooled for about 15 minutes then score the top and sides of the bread. Using a brush {or pour slowly} coat the top and sides of the loaf with the sugar/lemon mixture. Use about half, let it soak in for about 10 minutes and then finish it off. Or do it all at once. Whichever pleases you.
Now make the glaze!
  • Mix together half a cup of confectioner's sugar and a few more tablespoons of lemon juice. Mine came out thin so maybe go heavy on the sugar. Pour this over the top and enjoy!!!

xoxo, natty ♥

1 comments:

Laurenita said...

Yum! Glad you could use them! We made the barefoot contessa's lemon pound cake recipe which sounds similar. That plus lemon sorbet was delicious. Our lemon bars got overcooked but I may try again.

Post a Comment