Sunday, April 1, 2012

Easter vs. Christmas.

I'm pitting these two holidays together in order to talk about...CANDY! I decided tonight that I vastly prefer Easter candy over December's counterpart.
Holiday candy seems to center on chocolate which is all good and great but I really think that jelly beans are really where it's at.
I did an informal taste test on three separate brands. I'm "ok" when it comes to those larger, traditional ones but I'll never choose them if given the option. Jelly Belly jelly beans are dandy but they're not a seasonal specialty. 
This post focuses on the following three jelly bean varieties:
  • Sweet Tart
  • Starburst
  • Life Savers
The first have a pastel hue to them. 
Their texture is a bit grainy almost but it does not get in the way of enjoying the flavor which is delightful. They're not very tart and definitely more sweet than not. These come in the following versions: Cherry, Lemon, Grape, Blue Punch {?}, Green Apple {my fave!} and Orange. I give them 4.5 out of 5 Easter eggs.

Starburst Jelly Beans come in Green Apple, Strawberry, Orange, Cherry and Grape. I wanted so badly to like these. 
They come in pretty colors that are vibrant and suggest a glorious flavor burst {no pun intended} but they fall flat. The taste is almost fake. I realize the ridiculousness of my last sentence considering that I'm talking about artificially flavored candies but if food technology is what it is, they could do a whole lot better than this. 2 out of 5 Easter Eggs.

The winner, in mine eyes, are the Life Savers Jelly Beans. 
These do have a slightly disconcerting tendency to stick together in the bag {something I've noticed year to year} but don't let that deter you. The flavor here is tremendous. Strawberry, Grape, Lemon, Orange and Green Apple are your options and I like all of them {except for the citrus options of which I'm never a fan anyway}. I give a 5 out of 5 Easter Eggs here. Lovely flavor, great texture and pretty colors; Life Savers for the win!

Some may ask about the more obvious Easter options of Cadbury eggs and Peeps. Honestly, those things have practically no flavor. The Cadbury eggs have some taste but mostly because they include chocolate though I've always felt that there's an overwhelming sense of plastic-ness to their flavor. Peeps pretty much are just plastic.

I realize that candy is a pretty trivial aspect of holidays especially when they're traditional religious celebrations. I like to see it as a happy extra. Do you have any that you favor? I am always a fan of Reese's and especially enjoy the holiday versions.
 xoxo, natty ♥

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love this post! The Sweet Tart jelly beans are my favorite! I'm not a huge fan of traditional jelly beans. But I totally agree, Easter candy beats out Christmas candy ;-)

Nathalia said...

I'm glad to have good company!

Post a Comment