Friday, March 9, 2012

She's got Spirit.

I work at a great place. One perk of this job is that for a week in March every year we have Spirit Week. The four classes each have their own theme and decorate a corner of the gym accordingly as well as incorporating their two class colors {classes vote as freshmen which colors they will have and on a class mascot...I was a maroon and gold wizard fyi}. There's a rally every day {at the end of the class day thankyoubabyJesus} and the four classes accrue points throughout the week for various things : how many students in costume {there's a theme each day}, the quality of decorations, the song/cheer sung at each rally...and many more opportunities including but not limited to performance in games {Teacher Bowling is an example}.
Today's post is regarding the theme days and gym decorations. 
Each class has access to the same set of materials so as to encourage equality. The building begins Friday afternoon before the big week and will continue into the following Saturday. The kiddos get pri-tee creative. This is what our gym looked like today.
I'll give you some shots of the finished product when it comes about. It's fun to see the girls really working together to make their corner of the gym look great. I don't have much perspective since this is the only high school I've EVER been a part of so I can't say if this is normal but I can say that I LOVE having kids laying around and painting an almost life sized Voldemort in their class colors. And using chicken wire.
On to the costumes. I've been mulling over my options and already have a few planned. There are two that I really need to finesse this weekend. This are the themes I have to work with.
  • Monday : Spy/Detective/Secret Agent Day. 
  • Tuesday : Smart Phone App. Day
  • Wednesday : Favorite Holiday Day
  • Thursday : Cartoon/Disney Day
  • Friday : "Rep yo Dec Day" when each class dresses up as their theme. My class is Sophomores and their theme this year is Harry Potter {see #Voldemort reference above}.
I'll show just a snippet of one costume and then do a full reveal next week.
Try to get something done between now and then; I know you're dying to find out but I've got a life.
Happy Friday to you!

xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment