Friday, May 18, 2012

Diaper Cake.

In various social/cultural circles Baby Showers are thrown when one is expecting a new little one. Tomorrow, at work, we're giving one of those shindigs and celebrating an impending bundle of joy. His mama is one of my best work friends and one of the sweetest and kindest individuals I've ever had the pleasure and blessing of knowing; I'm SO happy and excited for her growing family.
I wanted to make her a diaper cake much like I did earlier this spring for another coworker. Tonight was my second attempt and I must admit that I got better. Much better. 
Gearing up.
I didn't use a cardboard base this time rather just three lids to Pyrex bowls I have. 
The goods.
Each is a bit smaller than the other which created three "perfect" "cake" tiers.
I also used rubber bands. 
One is able to make a diaper cake by rolling up each diaper and then using these little tubes to create the cake. The way I worked tonight is much easier I think. I used two packs of diapers {newborns and size 1} and just fanned out a deck of them to create each layer which I then wrapped up with one big rubber band. I didn't use a paper towel tube to stick in the center rather I just rolled up a few diapers to create a solid base around which to wrap everything.
I used the Pyrex lids as guides for figuring out the appropriate size to make each tier.
This is actually pretty easy-peasy as far as crafts go and the yield is super cute. 
I wrapped grosgrain ribbons of varying sizes and colors around to hide the rubber bands and tied the three layers together with some gauzy ribbon I had. I stuffed in some newborn socks, hand mittens and washcloths to add color {and utility!} and also wrapped in a hardcover picture book and a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
Check out the finished product!!!


The very last picture on the right is blurry to showcase the vibrating ability of Mr. Carseat-Attachment-Frog. Their baby is going to LOVE this gift.
Baby gifts {especially clothing} can be super cute and fun to buy and give but I love the idea of something that can be quite practical as well as fun. Plus I know that my friend already has a TON of onesies and newborn clothes so I'm hoping she appreciates this. Though not yet a mother myself I can't say if it's annoying to have to unravel a cake full of diapers but I do enjoy making this gift. I got the idea from another coworker last spring at another baby shower.
Do you have any go-to new baby gifts? If there's another sibling I also try to stick in something for Big Brother or Big Sister to make them feel special since being a role model is hard work!
Happy weekend!
xoxo, natty ♥

1 comments:

Laurenita said...

Yes but can you eat it? ;)

Post a Comment