Friday, August 17, 2012

Mercado.

As I mentioned almost two weeks ago, I checked out one of the local farmers markets {Dupont Circle, fyi}.

Farmers markets can be overwhelming for me. There are often sooooooo many people and strollers and carts and meandering groups. There are also a lot of options for the same thing; I can get chard at five different stalls...which is best?!? 

I have a bit of a routine to help me through this experience because, despite what I just unloaded about my slightly agoraphobic self, I really like being able to buy produce outdoors and ideally in a more direct manner than at the grocery store. Plus there's less packaging and it's local and blah blah blah. 
It's also nice when pastries are available.

So: I think it's best I go alone. I need to make a complete circle before I do or buy anything so that I can absorb the lay of the land. This way I can also make some mental notes as far as which stalls seem more appealing to me. I try to stay away from the stalls on the edges {sorry fringe sellers!} since that's where passerby will be drawn to and I like to give business to the inner venders. I try and stick with organic if it's within the budget. I'm there to get what's in season and available so I remain open to what's laying out. I make sure I have my cash and my bags. I won't haggle for prices, I don't think that's "what is done" at these things and there are usually enough people that it would create an embarrassing traffic jam that isn't really worth it since the prices are never too bad to begin with. And then I go for it.

I love the variety of color.

I like this one because it's year-round and has a nice variety of produce. 

And pretty flowers. Hydrangea are some of my favorites.
Limelight!!
And cold cuts; yum!
And felted soap. Huh?
I learned about felted soap just last month when wandering around Pike's Place Market in Seattle. It's a piece of soap {obvi} that has a bit of felted wool sewed around it. The wool acts like a sponge, almost, and helps you to get a good lather and a bit of exfoliation. Then, when the soap has been depleted {as soap is wont to do}, you have a funny ball of felted wool left over with which you can do as you please.

And they have empanadas. 

And they have these two sisters who sell soup each weekend and I.like.soup. 

There is also a market closer to our place, I think, and I might check it out this weekend.

Do you have an open air market that you like to frequent? Is it as fraught as an experience as it is for me? 

We're headed to a Nationals game tonight and the weekend ahead holds some more organizing/unpacking that's been swept aside. Until now.
Happy Friday!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment