Sunday, August 5, 2012

Squash.

After mass this morning I meandered over to our local farmer's market where I thoroughly enjoyed the colorful visual stimulation. 
I walked away with three bags of produce and sweated the 1.5 miles back home; why did I do that to myself? I was too lazy to try and figure out a bus ride home but suffered through extreme heat and humidity but oh-well.
We might sign up for a CSA, paying a share in local farms and getting a box of produce each week, but this farmer's market {& the grocery store, duh} is a great resource considering that it's local, obviously, and year-round, which isn't always easy to find.
Anyway, my major score of the day was zucchini blossoms. The two empanadas I had for lunch were also a highlight.
I had the smoked bluefish and highly recommend it.
I also had mushroom and still prefer the smoked bluefish.
Moving on, zucchini blossoms are exactly that, flowers, but can be fried into a delicious little side dish/appetizer. I first had them from my grandmother and she from her parents; I think the dish is Italian in origin. You can get fancy pants and stuff them with cheeses or other things but I prefer this simple preparation because it really lets the light flavor of the bloom take center stage. I used THIS recipe but I'll write it out here just for kicks.

Fried Zucchini/Squash Blossoms.
 
1. Purchase {or pick, if you're lucky} some beautiful zucchini blossoms.

2. Carefully rinse and dry theses dudettes.

Rinse and dry!
3. Prepare a nice big saute or fry pan with enough olive oil to cover the bottom and then a bit more, but not too much...maybe two tablespoons?

4. Whisk together a couple of tablespoons of flour and milk {I had skim on hand but I'm sure that water would do the trick in a pinch}, almost equal parts but adding the milk/liquid until you get the desired consistency of a thin soup; this batter shouldn't be thick. Add in a bit of salt to this.

5. Heat the oil to medium-high {depending on your pan and/or stove it may be a bit different; our pans conduct heat pretty efficiently so medium is perfect for me if I want a nice strong heat}...if you flick a bit of the batter into the oil and it sizzles then it's ready.

6. Swirl each blossom in the batter until it's covered {I left the stems "naked"} and then carefully slide them into the hot oil.

7. Use a fork or spoon to flip each blossom after two {or so} minutes, giving each side equal time. I actually ended up doing about three or four minutes each side in order to get the beautiful golden color.

Brown!
8. Let these guys drain on a paper-towel-covered-plate and eat immediately afterwards {without burning your mouth!!}. 

Drain!
Apart from the bit of salt in the batter I used no other seasoning and they were delicious {if I may say so} though I'm sure you could add in a bit of ground pepper or even cayenne pepper for some kick. 
They have convenient handles!
The result is a lightly crunchy and uniquely flavored treat. I'd describe it as an almost green taste which may sound odd but considering that you're eating a flower I think it makes sense. This recipe, by the way, worked for about eight blossoms and the "recipe" can obviously be altered for more.
I had a great time wandering the market {& eating my spoils} and will get up some more pictures of the day tomorrow or Tuesday because it's now...bedtime!!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment