Sunday, January 29, 2012

Life is just a bowl of lemons.

Last week some friends and I got together for happy hour after work {Hi Friends!}. It was great to catch up a bit and eat yummy guacamole. I found out that out of the five of us I am the only one without direct access to a lemon tree {we're blessed to live in California's Bay Area where orchards used to be EVERYWHERE...many homes have relics of bygone days in the form of fruit trees}. Since we live in an apartment we technically don't have access to any form of fruit tree but even amongst my family only a couple of people have the coveted lemon tree. My grandmother and parents have a persimmon tree {yuck!}, a yellow grapefruit {double yuck!!}, an apricot {ok but it's a summer fruit} and a sour orange/tangerine thing. Lemons are fabulous because, well, I just ding dang love them. I like to put lemon on most things that I cook and the stuff that is available for purchase in a bottle is downright chemical tasting. 
Anyhow, one of my friends brought in a bag full of lemons from her yard {Thanks friend!}. They apparently have an excess in their household...the lucky ducks. These are Meyer lemons which have a different flavor {almost...almost a sweetness} compared to the regular lemons found in most grocery stores. The skins are thinner and there's a hint of orange in there somewhere...just a hint. They're glorious actually. I'm thrilled to be able to use these in cooking this week but maybe I'll foray into some lemon inspired baking??
Do you have a love of lemons like I do? Are there any interesting & delicious lemon recipes out in the internet-reader-land?
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment