Monday, December 2, 2013

Over it.

I'm getting over yesterday's  whatever it was...and moving on to some even better things!

A. I finally got rid of most of our leftovers in the form of a curried turkey and mashed potato soup.
It was so tasty and restored my cooking self-confidence. 

Here's the quick recipe:

up to 2 cups shredded or chopped turkey.
1 small onion, diced.
2 tablespoons olive oil (add in a smidge of butter if you're feeling naughty)
1 clove of garlic, minced.
2 cups cold mashed potatoes.
2 cups milk.
seasonings...I used salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of curry powder.

1. Heat up the oil and saute the onions for about two minutes, then add in the garlic and saute it all for another minute or until it's soft (adding in the garlic later is a good idea because garlic burns quicker than onion and burnt garlic can have a bitter taste).

2. Add in the curry and cook for another minute or so.

3. Add in the turkey, give it a swirl or two, then add in the mashed potatoes and milk...heat it up a bit and then eventually you'll be able to whisk it all together until it's smooth.

4. I added in a handful of steamed green beans chopped in half (Trader Joe's sells a steam-in-the-bag option that cooks in the microwave for five minutes).

5. Heat up the soup and let it simmer for about a minute.

6. Garnish with yogurt, lime, cilantro...

B. This little thing very cutely rested his head on my leg.
And I love that exercise ball as a foot rest.

C.  Tonight we discovered the Investigation Discovery channel; and there's a mini-marathon of 20/20 episodes on. This is heavenly.

D. One side benefit of having guests over for anything (most recently Thanksgiving) is that the apartment is very nice and clean afterwards...we're still in that sweet spot and I'm wondering if we can hold it through when we both leave to go west for Christmas.

E. I got a drawer and a part of our closet cleared out for that sweet little girl who's on her way. But, we're nowhere near ready for her yet. This "let's have a baby in a one-bedroom apartment without much closet space" adventure is going to be an exercise in spatial creativity and I'm actually looking forward to various nesting permutations that are bound to arise.

I hope that you're feeling better about Monday than I was last night/earlier this morning!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment