Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thoughts swirling around in my head/12th Day of Christmas.

Today I'm wrapping up my "12 Days of Christmas" campaign, my little effort to put some focus on things that I enjoy during a time of year which can be ever so fraught with stress and busyness. Counting December 25th this is the 12th Day. You can read the initial post HERE. On the sixth of January we can celebrate the end of this season {some count the day after Christmas as the first but others don't...either way, January 6th is the deadline} and I can say that I have enjoyed the reflection and fun. I often feel as though I'm surrounded by chaos even though I know that my life is peaches when it comes to the grand scheme of things and I'll be striving to appreciate the small/big joys throughout the rest of this year.


Anyway, on to the title of today's post. This is something that makes me feel EXCITED. In an effort to procrastinate, I've been mulling over some ideas and I feel as though they've been flying around in my mind; they're all centered on things that I can sew! One of the many goals I have for myself {#57 to be precise} between now and September 2014 is this:


Begin to sew and create something that I can wear, something that I can use around the house and something that I can give to someone else; 0/3.


I was talking about this and how I'd like a real sewing machine for my birthday {wink, wink} while visiting Arizona and my dear Mother in law mentioned that she hasn't used hers in quite a while and would I like to borrow it until I am a proud owner of my own? By gum, of course I did! Of course I DO!!
The night before we left she pulled out this beauty from the closet and we wiped off the dust and investigated.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
I thought "It's SOOOOOOO cute!" which is no surprise to me. You see, this is no ordinary sewing machine. This is a wonderful, self contained and flowered sewing machine that's over 30 years old. Bright & shiny colors with a vintage kick to it? Sign me up! 
A part slides out to reveal the cord neatly curled up and the instruction booklet. I took a video for your benefit. My hand at the end is supposed to be a manual "ta da" for you.


This is the result.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
I had fun looking through the directions and pretending that I was putting in thread and getting the bobbin ready. My MIL told me that she was super excited for this big purchase when she initially bought it. She is such a conscientious person and I'm really grateful for that because everything is meticulously cared for and in place. But mostly because she's generous enough to let me haul it to California for experimental sewing; thank you sew {I'm really satisfied with myself for having fit this in} much!!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
This flower motif is on the actual machine too!
Then I stayed up late looking up somewhat simple sewing projects online and getting excited about what I could do. I think I have most of them saved on Pinterest so I don't have to worry about losing these cute ideas.
Then I had to wake up at 5:30 AM and get in a car for hours on end.
Then we got back home and here I am now.
Believe you me, there are many, many, many things laying around for me to do but getting started with sewing is a task that I can see getting swept aside for months and years so I'm going to make this happen. And I'm really pumped about it!
Plus, the machine has flowers on it...those yellow and orange ones that can make any day a bit brighter!


I really do need to get a few things taken care of before I can seriously have fun, though - putting away our apartment {we have NOT finished moving in yet thankyouverymuch} and getting through the mountain of grading that taunts me every.single.day. 


I think that my first project will be kitchen/dish towels. Then maybe some produce/grocery stuff-sacks since as of last Sunday stores in San Jose are no longer allowed to provide plastic bags and have to charge ten cents for every paper bag. Read about it HERE, it's kind of great.


Are you crafty? Do you have any easy sewing ideas? Do you rely on patterns or do you just eye it? Let me know if you have tips!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment