Friday, January 27, 2012

Our BIrthday Place.

Five years ago my sweet hubby inadvertently started a tradition. He was living in Arizona at the time and I was here in San Jose. We were able to see each other about once a month or so and were planning a February rendezvous in San Diego {the 1/2 way point between us} which I was looking forward to. My then roommate &future lovely maid of honor in our wedding {a fact unbeknownst to all three of us at the time and for several more years} took me out to dinner for my birthday. 
We went to a local road house style BBQ place that's been around forever {not literally, yo}. In this establishment the patrons hang out in the front area {the bar} while they order and are then brought back to their tables when the food meat is just about ready. So my friendy-friend and I were sitting and enjoying a drink amongst the crowd. The door opened, a guy with a small suitcase came in and I thought "he looks like Mike!". He looked like Mike because he WAS Mike! It was my favorite surprise ever {other than being proposed marriage by the same dude...not to get too mushy on you here} and I was so tickled pink! He had conspired with my pal and arranged the whole situation...be still my beating heart...
Since then we've lived in different countries all the way to the same apartment {which is our current status } and we try to make it back to Henry's HI-Life for one of our birthdays once a year; now it's our Birthday Place!
We went on Monday night and it was blissfully quiet and unpacked. My slab of steak with a buttery baked potato were glorious and I managed to snag a few extra napkins.
My plan is to frame them so that in case we ever leave San Jose and even if we don't we'll have a cute memento that is special to us.
The lighting was bad but I wanted a picture made of us too.
Mikey, thank you so much for the wonderful birthday tradition we've got going on and for that surprise in 2007!
xoxo, natty ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment